Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Alexander or should we say Xander the great

My gosh how a little encouragement goes a long way. We have been really encouraging Alexander, Xander as he calls himself now, to "use his words." This has been a huge step in the right direction for him since for so long now he hasn't talked.

These past few weeks his language has exploded and while we have to remind ourselves not to use his words, wawa aka water, he also reminds us sometimes its better for him if we do. I.e. the Xander thing. The last few days he has been correcting us when we call him by name, Alexander, or nickname, Bubba and says, "NO! Me Xander!" This not only is a reminder to me he is catching up with his lack of speech, but also a reminder my cute little baby is becoming a handsome little man.

So much has changed in the last 3 weeks with his language, we find ourselves trying to forget "Alexander language." Now we just have to simply listen and he tells us as if he has been saying it right form the get go.

I cannot expressed the joy this brings to me because for so long I thought he would always be behind. This worried me greatly with him starting school in the fall, I didn't want him frustrated and hating it. I want it to bring him joy like it brings to Natalia. No parent ever wants their child to struggle, but I'm having a hard time watching both of them sprout up and take off before my eyes!

One day my kids will be independent. They wont need their mommy or daddy to give them a glass of milk, they will get it themselves. They won't need us to carry them to bed because we will be there long before they turn off the lights. So even on the hard days when Natalia is being her tuddy self and Xander just walks behind us whining all day "want you mommy!" or "want you daddy!" we remind ourselves, I will miss this when it is gone.

But I will enjoy every second of their lives!

No comments: